Sunday, May 1, 2011

I made it and I ate it!

A Sunday with pouring rain and thunder and lightning is the perfect day to do some long postponed school work...

OR to experiment in the kitchen!


I felt a little hunger in my tummy and after talking to my waffle-friend (we have regular waffle dates - hei, Sigve!), I felt in the mood for – guess what – waffles! But seeing that this country still hasn’t realized the importance of a waffle iron in every home, I made pancakes instead.


Pancakes for dinner are so underestimated! At least in Norway, where we usually just eat sweet pancakes as a dessert or evening meal. I made both variants today: having dinner pancakes doesn't mean one should skip the dessert pancakes all together.



I made a super simple pancake batter, - eggs, milk, flour and salt, before starting on a spinach filling. Frozen spinach and cream (for cooking) is a match made in heaven! I threw in some raisins and walnuts since neither of them - in any dish - can ever fail, - unlike me in my classes this semestre. With some black pepper, ground nutmeg (muskat/nuez moscada) and freshly grated parmesan to give it both that extra taste and body, you end up with a healthy, mild and tasty blend!

Topped with fresh spinach
After satisfying my hunger for dinner, it was time for dessert! (Haha! Who am I kidding? It's ALWAYS time for dessert!). I put some sugar in the remaining batter and fried up a couple of sweet pancakes. The amazing perfection of apple, cinnamon and raisins together almost makes me believe in a higher power, - so for dessert filling I mixed them all in a pot together with a few drops of water, 5-6 teaspoons of sugar and some honey (total improvisation, - I really don't have a clue), and let it boil down from watery to sweet and sticky.


For one pancake I used half an apple. For the other pancake of sweetness I kept it simple, - cottage cheese and blackberry marmelade, topped with more cinnamon. In the initial brainstorming process I also thought about chevre (queso de cabra) with honey and walnuts, or youghurt with banana and honey, - the possibilities are endless!


Here in Spain I enjoy lower prices and a bigger offer of different goods, as well as an extra Erasmus scholarship. I have to take full advantage of this combination while I can, before it's back to oatmeal and potatoes, and no more student luxury... Sadface...

3 comments:

  1. mmmmmm,retting: Vi liker pannekaker til middag, det er det vi gjer!
    her ser eg starten på kokeboka mi/di,- vår! "Frå Granada til Suldal","det gode liv i fjellbyene....


    moro

    ReplyDelete
  2. Men alltid søte, med syltetøy på ;)

    ReplyDelete