Saturday, November 6, 2010

Catorce brasileños y una noruega fueron a Marruecos...

My first travel to Africa. My first travel to an islamic country. Some things reminded me of Guatemala. Others of Vietnam and Cambodia. And a few things reminded me of Granada, - logical, thinking how much Andalucia has been influenced by Arab culture. So many things were completely new and strange to me. Having to wear long pants and preferably a scarf when the temperature easily reaches 35 degrees during the day, was absolutely different from what I'm used to. Luckily I've had a few months in Spain to get aclimatized to warmer weather.

Before I went to the airport in Madrid with Mariana, I knew we were going to travel with two more Brazilians I know from Valencia, Maria&Mário, and furthemore 2-3 friends of Maria's from Uni in Madrid. I was right and wrong... We ended up being a group of 15. Exchange students from Bilbao, Madrid, Barcelona and Granada, and the mother of a friend of some of the girls on the trip.


Now, I can't say that I am a particular fan of travelling in big groups, and believe me when I say that being the only Norwegian in a huge group of Brazilians isn't always as fun as it might sound. Mostly because eu não falo o português! Which I repeatedly told them, but which didn't always have much effect, - and they would keep talking in portuguese. But in spite of our differences in culture, travel experiences and, most importantly, language, I had a great time! And according to them I'm almost a Brazilian now ;)

We stayed in a nice hotel situated in the heart of Marrakech, right by the big square Djemaa el Fna, one of the most famous market places in all of Africa. Here seen from the roof terrace of our hotel, where breakfast was served.


One day we went to a small city at the coast, Essaouira. It was good to get a break from busy and noisy Marrakech. And for me it was indescribably wonderful to see and smell the ocean again! I can never get used to not living by the ocean.

Then, the next day, we went in the opposite direction, - further east and south, to spend a nigth by the outskirts of Sahara by Zagora and the Dunes of Tinfo. We payed for a 2days (in a tiny minibus) & 1night (in a huge tent) - package which included dinner and breakfast, camel back riding, and a very friendly driver.

The camel back riding was really a lot of fun, for ten minutes. Then for the last 80 it was a pain in the butt, - in the most literal way...
 
 But dinner was amazing. The starry night sky like nothing I've ever seen before. The sunrise beautiful. And the ride back in the morning, just as painful as the first...

  
I wanted to try, taste and do as much local stuff as possible and sometimes had a hard time keeping my opinions to myself when some of the others ate at KFC or MacDonald's. But I too ordered Coca Cola to almost every meal, - following the advice of mi amiga, Kristin, who never lets me forget that once travelling with her family, she was the only one drinking Coca Cola and the only one not to get sick... And look! It's Arab Coca Cola!

And I got a henna tattoo. For 52 € less than the woman initially asked for, and around 13 € more than a henna tattoo is worth, I got a pretty flower pattern on my left foot and hand which I was promised would last four weeks and which now is barely visible. Partly my fault seeing that I went to a Hammam and treated myself to a body scrub and massage on my birthday, before we went back home.

Oh well... I enjoyed being a tourist on vacation! 6 days with the perfect balance between relaxing and travelling.

Bonus pic!

No comments:

Post a Comment