Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Estoy acostumbrandome

After 1,5 week in Granada, I'm getting more and more used to the Spanish way of life. I do my best to cook comida everyday, but I have to admit that with the many cheap cafés it's hard to make the effort. At least I'm getting really good at tomar la siesta! Because I'm so lucky as to have an elementary school right outside my piso, siesta-time is usually the only time I get peace and quiet in my room during the day. Not that I'm complaining, - who wouldn't love the sweet sound of children laughing, screaming and school bells ringing at 8 o'clock in the morning, after 3-4 hours of sleep?

I knew before I came to Spain that being Erasmus means partying... a lot! But this is extreme! Or maybe I'm getting too old. The first thing I see when I sleepily and a tad hungover check my e-mail the day after some Erasmus party, is an e-mail from one of the many Erasmus organizations announcing the next huge party, - most likely taking place the same day. When I tell the locals that in Norway the bars close at 02 am they're shocked, - in Spain the party doesn't start untill 02 am.

The only way to stay awake in the disco after 03 am is to dance. Some places they even play salsa music, which is greatly appreciated as an alternative to all the house music! And we get a good opportunity to dance away some of our extra pounds resulting from cerveza, tapas and dulces...

Speaking of tapas. What an amazingly genious tradition! You go to some tapas bar wherever; the music is great, the people are happy, you choose between caña, tubo or jarra depending on what beer-to-food ratio you want, pay between 1,5€ and 2€ and then order the tapas of your choice from the small menu. 2 hours and 3 jarras including three tapas later, you leave with a full stomach, and 5€ less. I can't imagine leaving this student's paradise to go back to Norway... In a city of give or take 250 000 inhabitants around 80 000 are students. Granada, in other words, es una ciudad muy joven. Y me encanta! Ya estoy enamorada con Granada...

No comments:

Post a Comment