Saturday, September 4, 2010

Sin brasileña

No longer do I have the pleasure of sharing a room with Mariana. She went by train to Granada last night, - that is if she managed to carry her enormous suitcase onboard.



There she will spend four days looking for an apartment (hopefully finding one for me too), before she goes to Ibiza to spend some quality time with other Brazilians. I have not even known her for two full weeks, but it feels much longer, - and she and her friends, Maria & Mário, and Pedro have taught me so much about their culture. They have opened the blue eyes of a Norwegian and shown me the true lifestyle of young Brazilians. And it is quite different from the image I think most Norwegians have of them. So let me try to give you a more accurate image of this beautiful people, and hopefully someday you will be lucky enough to see for yourself.


Average Brazilians


- don’t dance samba
- don’t use Brazilian tangas
- risk getting arrested if they go topless at the beach



- don’t care about beach volley
- find it hilarious that people living in Norway are reminded of going to the dentist
- think it’s too hot when it is 30-35 degrees
- drink cheap wine from the bottle
- like to get drunk at a pre-party before hitting town
- go to the Oktoberfest in Munich
- often fall asleep at the pre-party



- have to pay for English lessons in school
- always get a strong positive reaction from strangers learning that they have indeed
met a Brazilian
- can’t think of adjectives for their reproductive organs during drinking games
- suck at numbers multipliable by seven
- prefer the public universities since they are much better than the private ones.
- apparently suck at soccer

I will miss my roomie, but only two weeks from now, I will go to live in the same city, - Granada!

And how can I be sad in a city so happy even the streets are laughing!

2 comments:

  1. Martha!! I just loved your text!!
    I was really nice to meet you and also lear about Norwegian coulture...
    Enjoy your time in Valencia!!
    I hope we can meet soon...at Granada, Madrid or Barcelona! =)

    ReplyDelete